Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Saving/Recalling Shell Commands History?
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:20:37 +0200

Am 23.08.2006 um 16:20 schrieb Kevin Rodgers:

I don't understand why it needs to be so complicated.  What do you
mean by "separate the different Emacs versions [you] are using"?  None
of your code references emacs-version, emacs-major-version, or
emacs-minor-version.

Here is my extended hook:
    (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
        (setq comint-input-ring-file-name
          (expand-file-name "history" desktop-dirname))
        (setq histfile_cmd (format
                "echo \"set histfile = %s\" > .emacs_tcsh-init"
                comint-input-ring-file-name))
        (shell-command histfile_cmd)
    ))

Desktop-dirname points to the different emacs-major-versions. My purpose is to have the history files unchanged while I launch a Carbon Emacs or an Emacs.app, which otherwise would write /their/ history into the same file. And when I'll start to have an intel based Mac with Vanderpool built-in I also could run some Losedows, Linux, Solaris, or other BSD Emacsen ...

What I wonder is whether GNU Emacs caches the contents of the history file. If the contents of the history file changes by interaction of some other shell, /my/ Emacs shell would find the other's history if it would re-read the history file.

(BTW, it worked in Emacs shell with the default ~/.tcsh_history file, although comint-input-ring-file-name pointed to some completely different file. Could be shell-mode could not find a command from the history file, but then tcsh would succeed.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

Well done is better than well said.