Re: Dired confused by filenames starting with date-like strings

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Dired confused by filenames starting with date-like strings
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:17:07 +0900

kg6mar@gmail.com writes:
> Dired gets confused by certain filenames in which the beginning
> resembles a date and there is an embedded space (my photograph naming
> convention).  It fails to assemble the entire filename.

This works correctly on my system, because dired invokes ls with the
"--dired" option (a feature of GNU ls, which causes ls to output extra
information about where the names are located).

The variable `dired-use-ls-dired' controls whether dired does this or
not.  So to fix this problem, try installing GNU ls (I guess that means
cygwin, as you're on ms-windows?) and setting dired-use-ls-dired to t.

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein