UTF-8 in path / filename

From: Grégory SCHMITT
Subject: UTF-8 in path / filename
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:59:19 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm running emacs 21.4.1 using Linux (Fedora Core 5). When I try to open a
file and the path name contains UTF-8 letters, emacs won't be able to find
the file.

I create a folder called "Grégory". I put any file in it (let's call it
"test") and if I, from a simple xterm, try to do "emacs Grégory/test",
emacs won't be able to open the file. However, it will be successful if I
manually visit using C-x C-f.

If I use any other editor (such as mcedit), it will open OK.

Any explanation ?

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gregory.schmitt@free.fr>