Re: Dired confused by filenames starting with date-like strings

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Dired confused by filenames starting with date-like strings
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:41:33 +0900

kg6mar@gmail.com writes:
> - Emacs 21.3.1 for Windows doesn't appear to have a variable called
> dired-use-ls-dired

Hmmm not sure if that change made it into any version of Emacs 21 --
`dired-use-ls-dired' was added to the development sources on 2002-09-14,
and Emacs 21.3 was released on 2003-03-24, but I think the later
releases of Emacs 21 were done from a special release branch which
didn't incorporate most trunk changes.

> but I can set dired-listing-switches to "-lD" which
> invokes the ls --dired option, achieving the same purpose.

It's not enough to just invoke ls --dired -- Emacs also has to correctly
deal with the special info which that command outputs, and I don't know
if dired did so before the change which added the dired-use-ls-dired
variable.

Incidentally, as Eli mentioned, on windows perhaps it should be using
the `ls-lisp.el' lisp implementation of ls -- which _does_ correctly
handle such weird filenames (it always adds the magic property which
dired needs to find things correctly).  But again, I'm not sure how this
stuff relates to older released versions of Emacs.

I think it would a decent idea to try upgrading to Emacs 22 -- it's not
officially released yet, but it's in quite good condition, and there are
precompiled windows binaries available (I forget the exact site, but
last time I looked it took about 30 seconds with google to find it).

-Miles

--
自らを空にして、心を開く時、道は開かれる