Re: UTF-8 in path / filename

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: UTF-8 in path / filename
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:35:08 +0200

Am 25.08.2006 um 15:42 schrieb Grégory SCHMITT:

If I set emacs to run in unibyte mode (with --unibyte on the command
line), it does work, but the file content (which is UTF-8) is parsed as
8859-15.

This looks as if your system does not use UTF-8 ...

Can you create a file with accented characters? If not, can you put a copy of the file in the Grégory directory into your home or some other directory and invoke emacs, with or with no unibytes, with both files? In the first case the accented name would appear in the mode- line of the buffer (and would see what was passed or received as argument), in the latter case GNU Emacs would put the directory's name in the mode-line, I hope, to distinguish the two files with the same name. Again, you would see what was passed or received as "Grégory" ...

If the file names are or are not UTF-8, you can declare this in .emacs with:

        (setq default-file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)
        (setq default-file-name-coding-system 'iso-8859-15)

There are a lot more *coding-systems you can set ...

--
Greetings

  Pete
              <\