Re: UTF-8 in path / filename

From: Grégory SCHMITT
Subject: Re: UTF-8 in path / filename
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:06:27 +0200

I thought Fedora uses UTF-8 by default.

> Can you create a file with accented characters? If not, can you put a
> copy of the file in the Grégory directory into your home or some
> other directory and invoke emacs, with or with no unibytes, with both
> files? In the first case the accented name would appear in the mode-
> line of the buffer (and would see what was passed or received as
> argument), in the latter case GNU Emacs would put the directory's
> name in the mode-line, I hope, to distinguish the two files with the
> same name. Again, you would see what was passed or received as
> "Grégory" ...
>
> If the file names are or are not UTF-8, you can declare this
> in .emacs with:
>
>       (setq default-file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)
>       (setq default-file-name-coding-system 'iso-8859-15)

OK. So I have tow folders, "Greg" and "Grégory" in my home (ext3
filesystem, default options). I now have two file, "test" and "testé"
in each of them, plus in the current directory. Those files have the
same Utf-8 content, so I'm able to tell if they're parsed correctly or
not.

First case, with multibyte:
- both files in the "Greg" folder are visited correctly: file is
opened, content looks ok. However, the buffer name for "testé" appears
as "testÀ" (or sth like that), which in my mind is proof that the file
name is actually UTF-8 and displayed like ISO.
- both files in the "Grégory" folder are not visited. Manually visiting
the files works fine however, and the buffer name is correct ("testé" is
spelled correctly).File content is ok as well.
- both files in the current directory are visited ok, content is ok,
buffer name NOT ok.

Second, with unibyte:
- "Greg" folder: files visited ok, content NOT ok, buffer name NOT ok.
- "Grégory" folder: files visited ok, content NOT ok, buffer name NOT
ok.
- both files in the current directory are visited ok, content NOT ok,
buffer name NOT ok.

Hope that helps. As for me, I'm stuck...

--
Grégory SCHMITT <mailto:gregory.schmitt@free.fr>