Re: UTF-8 in path / filename

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: UTF-8 in path / filename
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:55:31 +0200

Am 26.08.2006 um 00:06 schrieb Grégory SCHMITT:

Hope that helps. As for me, I'm stuck...

I feel the same! All GNU Emacsen are not meant to handle UTF-8 as other applications can do. Unicode Emacs 23.0.0 behaves a bit better.

What you could try is to set default-buffer-file-coding-system to utf-8. It could also be that some preparation in file-coding-system- alist does not let you see UTF-8 contents, so check its value. I have in my customisation section

        '(unibyte-display-via-language-environment t)

and avoid set-language-environment.

There won't be a perfect solution with GNU Emacs in the near future ...

Is your Emacs copy installed from an RPM package or did you configure and compile yourself? For me UTF-8 and Emacs are too important to get it from somewhere, so I compile myself.

--
Greetings

  Pete

»¿ʇı̣ əsnqɐ ʇ,uɐɔ noʎ ɟı̣