Re: UTF-8 in path / filename

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: UTF-8 in path / filename
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 18:13:38 -0400

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:

Peter> Files with UTF-8 characters in them are shown in dired (has -u: in
Peter> mode-line, i.e. uses UTF-8) à la <vowel><empty box>. Some UTF-8
Peter> characters like ß or Û show up as themselves.

Doesn't apple by default use NFD (Normalizaion Form Decomposed) for
filenames?  That would explain the <vowel><box> sequences.

I suspect most others end up with NFC filenames.  And composition
seems much better in the emacs-unicode-2 branch than in HEAD.
(But still not perfect.  I sometimes get bad metrics on composed
glyphs; and sometimes they display as intended....)

Can you get at the actual octet-sequence of the filenames?

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0xED7DAEA6