RE: lisp function to search-forward for lines with same indent

From: Jay Bingham
Subject: RE: lisp function to search-forward for lines with same indent
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:18:04 GMT

On Monday, August 28, 2006 3:17 AM Badari Kakumani wrote:

> to my surprise, in emacs, when i press:
>    Esc Ctr-s ^ Space \sw
> emacs is matching all lines that start with any number of spaces
> (instead of matching lines with exactly one-space in the beginning
> of line and a non-space character). not sure why it is behaving this
> way.

The variable search-whitespace-regexp provides a regular expression
to be used
to match a sequence of white space in incremental searches.
Its default value is "\\s-+".

If you never want sequences of white space to be changed to this
regexp set it
to nil in your .emacs or if you use customization it can be set to
nil via
customization.

If you don't mind sequences of whit space being changed to this
regexp most of
the time and just want to do specific numbers of spaces on occasion
you can use
a regexp like this:

__
J_)
C_)ingham

PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com