Re: Book recommendation

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: Book recommendation
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:58:12 -0700

    Hadron> The elisp info/manual is too much like a standard.

That's a shame -- I think that manual is one of the better ones I've
ever read.

    Hadron> Is there a K&R type book you can recommend for elisp?

Well, there's http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-lisp-intro.  Not
very K&R-like, but perhaps it'll do.

    Hadron> How much like "Lisp" is "elisp"?

elisp _is_ Lisp.  You probably meant "How much like Common Lisp is
elisp".  I don't know.  It has lots in common, and many differences.

Try http://lisp.org/alu/home; click the "Lisp Resources" link.

    Hadron> What would you recommend for someone to get to grips with
    Hadron> advanced Lisp programming in emacs?

The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.

    Hadron> Is (debugger) the only debugger?

There's edebug-mode.  Very handy.

--
In the practice of computing, where we have so much latitude for
making a mess of it, mathematical elegance is not a dispensable