Re: gnu/emacs 2.4 in and out of X

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: gnu/emacs 2.4 in and out of X
Date: 29 Aug 2006 22:11:51 -0700

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 29.08.2006 um 03:12 schrieb dsoliver@earthlink.net:
>
> > Esperanto Post-fix
>
> You could try to use in those file a header line like
>
>              -*- mode: text; coding: iso-8859-3; -*-
>
> or use a set of buffer-local variable settings like these at the end
> of the file
>
>       %%% Local Variables:
>       %%% mode: text
>       %%% coding: iso-8859-3
>       %%% End:
>
> The menus Options -> Mule -> Set Coding Systems could allow
> exceptions from UTF-8.
>
> There are variables you could set:
>
>       default-buffer-file-coding-system
>       file-coding-system-alist
>
> The latter could make files with a particular extension be iso-8859-3
> by default.

Thanks, Pete. I tried all of these things and it still doesn't work.
Once again the problem is that I can work fine in Esperanto while in
console mode not in X. I now can do the same in X. I added the
iso-8859-3 font to my .Xresources file. However, my main problem still
remains. When I leave X and return to the console, emacs no longer can
read any of my files with iso-8858-3 characters. The mode line looks
the same as before I started X, but emacs no longer understands those
modes. I go through the actions of setting up things again. It doesn't
work. I then start X again and things work again. I stop X, things
don't work. So the problem is that when I start X after I have been
successfully working on Esperanto files, I reach a point of no return
with regard to emacs and my run level 3 text console. Emacs appears to
be suddenly broken; I return to X and emacs works again as though
nothing happened. To get my text console to work again, I have to
reboot. I've looked at various logs, but I can't find what is going on.

Thanks again for your help.