Re: emacs MUAs with working smtp authentication?

From: Bill White
Subject: Re: emacs MUAs with working smtp authentication?
Date: 30 Aug 2006 07:39:05 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: "Bill White" <minutiae@gmail.com>
> > Date: 29 Aug 2006 21:28:54 -0700
> >
> > Are there any emacs-based MUAs that handle smtp authentication more or
> > less "out of the box" with the setting of a few clearly-documented
> > variables?  If so, can you point me to the documentation?
> >
> > I'm using cvs emacs from this afternoon.
>
> I might misunderstand what you mean by ``smtp authentication'', but it
> seems to me that smtpmail.el is what you are looking for.
>
> If smtpmail doesn't fit the bill, please tell what's missing there.

Indeed, I need a way to authenticate outgoing email thanks to new
requirements set by my employer.  I'm using gnus (from cvs emacs
compiled on a Fedora Core 4 system) and haven't been able to make it
work.  Simon Josefsson tried to help me with this a couple of years ago
when authentication was set up at my employer (but before it was
*required*), but we failed to get it working.  I no longer remember the
details but I'll dig them up to see whether they might work better
nowadays.

I spent yesterday googling and twiddling variables to no avail.   The
IT folks at work know all about setting up the point-n-click MUAs; I'm
the only one using gnus and they have no idea how to help me.

I wish I knew what was missing in my smtpmail/system setup.  Shall I
post details here, or move the discussion to one of the gnus groups?
I'd even switch to VM or rmail (or others) to do authentication as long
as I can stay within emacs, where I do everything else at work.

Thanks -

Bill
minutiae@gmail.com