Re: Do-you Aspell for French?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Do-you Aspell for French?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:42:33 +0200

Am 30.08.2006 um 22:53 schrieb Michaël Cadilhac:

Am 30.08.2006 um 21:44 schrieb Sébastien Vauban:

(defun ispell-get-otherchars ()
  (replace-regexp-in-string "-" "" (ispell-get-decoded-string 3)))

I did add your function, but... no, it does not work... I still
got the coumpound words underlined...

Strange... I use CVS Emacs, what version are you running?

21.3.50, 22.0.50, 23.0.0.

Where did you put it?  If it's in your .emacs, did you put a (require
'ispell) before?

No. But I can tell you that your lines change the value of OTHERCHARS, from default "[-'^`\".@]" (in a version running some time) to "[-']".

And with (require 'ispell) no change ...

I'm not sure whether it's an Emacs thing to decide where a word ends. IMO Emacs passes a region or a buffer to the ispell process which then reads through this. And so it's ispell then, that decides where a word ends. Since I think ispell's not correctly set up ...

In Fink Martin Costabel is the maintainer of this package; in francais.aff this is recorded: Copyright 1999, Christophe Pythoud et GUTenberg. Here is an excerpt from ispell.4:

Characters described with the boundarychars statement are considered part of a word only if they appear singly, embedded between characters declared with the wordchars or stringchar statements. For example, if the hyphen is a boundary character (useful in French), the string "foo- bar" would be a single word, but "-foo" would be the same as "foo", and
       "foo--bar" would be two words separated by non-word characters.

Since francais.aff contains

        boundarychars   [-]

penses-tu is one word! Would it work to subtract - from OTHERCHARS in ispell-dictionary-alist-3?

Michaël, could you check your francais.aff file? Maybe this explains why you're so successful ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like to do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care to live.
                                   -- Bradford Angier