Re: emacs MUAs with working smtp authentication?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: emacs MUAs with working smtp authentication?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 12:43:28 +0100

  >> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> Date: Thu, 31
  >> Aug 2006 12:11:53 +0100
  >>
  >> First, the protocol. SMTP uses tls for encryption.

  Eli> The OP didn't mention encryption.  If he did, I would have
  Eli> understood the difficulties.  But he only mentioned
  Eli> authentication, which I use on my system without any
  Eli> significant problems.

I am reading between the lines. There are many forms of
authentication, many of which smtpmail supports. In my experience,
however, the move toward secure channels to SMTP servers is gathering
pace -- the only surprise for me is that it took so long.

So, I suspect that the OP was talking about SSL/TLS. But he may not
have been.

  Eli> Same here: anything that is unclear in the docs is a bug that
  Eli> should be fixed.  Reporting this on emacs-devel will cause the
  Eli> maintainer DTRT.

Yes, you are right. I should have just done this.

  >> Finally, it doesn't seem to work on windows. I spent three hours
  >> with a debugger a couple of days ago -- I figured this was the
  >> only way to see if I had the configuration right. It appears that
  >> starttls.el uses Unix specific process handling, so won't work
  >> with NTEmacs.

  Eli> I think you are right, but I don't use the TLS encryption in my
  Eli> setup.

I have found a hack to fix this now (which isn't pretty!). I'll try it
out in a few days time.

Cheers

Phil

--
Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk