Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: All widgets except the scroll bar uses GTK?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 08:43:40 +0200

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>

>> I think --with-toolkit-scroll-bars is the the default.  I know that I
>> had to explicitly override this default in the past, since I don't
>> like the stupid completely unergonomic GTK+ default scrollbar (you
>> can't switch forward and backward direction without moving the mouse,
>
> Maybe I only know GTK scroll bars (under Emacs), could you please
> explain how to switch between the directions without moving the
> mouse?

Left mouse button scrolls forward, right mouse button backward.
Regardless where the current position of the "slider" is.

>> you can't scroll through a complete file without needing to reseat the
>> mouse in between, you can't control the scroll amount).
>
> You mean that one can more precisely control the amount of scrolling
> with respect to how far on clicks away from the tool bar handle?

No, nothing to do with the handle (there is none): that would require
reseating the mouse during a scrolling action.

No, the scrolling size is controlled by the vertical position of the
click: a click with the left mouse button moves the line where the
click occured to the top of the screen.  A click with the right button
moves the top of the screen down to where the click occured.