Re: temporary file name, with a twist

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: temporary file name, with a twist
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:30:44 +0200

nobrowser@gmail.com writes:

> Reiner Steib wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 07 2006, nobrowser@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > in my lisp code, I need to get a unique temporary file name, but
>> > _with a specific suffix_.
>>
>> `make-temp-file' or `make-temp-name'?
>>

> Nope, that's what I started with.  Doesn't do the suffix part.

Emacs CVS has

make-temp-file is a compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
(make-temp-file PREFIX &optional DIR-FLAG SUFFIX)

Create a temporary file.
The returned file name (created by appending some random characters at the end
of PREFIX, and expanding against `temporary-file-directory' if necessary),
is guaranteed to point to a newly created empty file.
You can then use `write-region' to write new data into the file.

If DIR-FLAG is non-nil, create a new empty directory instead of a file.

If SUFFIX is non-nil, add that at the end of the file name.