Re: Lock buffer to window

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Lock buffer to window
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 09:56:35 +0200

henning <henning.red@googlemail.com> writes:

> When using dired or rdired (from ESS) I sometimes want to keep a
> buffer in a certain window. However, commands such as e.g. 'man'
> might change the buffer in that window. Is there a way to dedicate a
> window to a particular buffer so that that window becomes invisible
> to commands that request a window for showing output? calculator is
> another such example where I obviously dont want the man page to
> show up in the tiny window created by the calculator command.

This doesn't solve the problem in the exact way you want, but you
might want to try it out anyway:

Try this:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
      (append special-display-buffer-names (list "*Help*")))

Then use any of the help commands, `C-h f' for example. Notice how the
*Help* buffer opens in a new frame instead of splitting the current
window.

If you want to do more advanced matching of buffer names, try
`special-display-regexps' instead.