Re: How to input opening quote (inverted single quote)?

From: Ryo
Subject: Re: How to input opening quote (inverted single quote)?
Date: 8 Sep 2006 16:55:38 -0700

Thanks for your help, Kevin.

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Ryo wrote:
[. . .]
> > I'm using a web interface to
> > newsgroups (Google Groups) and I don't know how to input those
> > chacters on my web browser.  Copy and paste from emacs to
> > the brower doesn't work, either.  (Garbage on the browser.)
>
> What character encoding is the browser using for the composition page?
> What coding system is the emacs buffer using (type `C-h C RET')?  And
> what does `C-h v selection-coding-system' dislay?

The coding system of the emacs buffer is

  Coding system for saving this buffer:
    Not set locally, use the default.
  Default coding system (for new files):
    E -- japanese-iso-8bit-unix
  Coding system for keyboard input:
    E -- euc-jp-unix
  Coding system for terminal output:
    1 -- iso-latin-1 (alias: iso-8859-1 latin-1)
  [. . .]

The status line of the buffer says "-\E:**".  I suppose "E" means
euc-jp.  "C-h v selection-coding-system" displays:

  selection-coding-system's value is
  japanese-iso-8bit-with-esc

The browser (Opera) has a menu to select encoding.  I tried "automatic
selection", "UTF-8", and "EUC-JP", but the result was the same.
By the way, I'm not sure if it's relevent, but I have

   (set-clipboard-coding-system 'japanese-iso-8bit-with-esc)

in my emacs startup file.  Without this, I can't copy & paste
Japanese characters to the browser, either.

Regards,
Ryo