"Shell command on region"/"go to top-of-file" problem

From: iamfractal
Subject: "Shell command on region"/"go to top-of-file" problem
Date: 12 Sep 2006 04:44:26 -0700

Hi,folks,

I'm using GNU emacs 21.3.1 on Windows 2000, and am a bit dim.

I use ALT < to jump to the bottom of a file, and ALT > to jump to the
top of a file.

In order to type a > I have to type shift <

So, ALT > is the three key press: ALT-shift-<

So if that hasn't confused the hell of you: my problem is that,
sometimes, somehow, I enter some more whereby pressing ALT > and ALT <
no longer works, and instead pressing ALT > gives me the prompt, "Shell
command on region: "

Does anyone know what the hell I'm doing wrong? Whenever I trigger this
behaviour, all I can do is kill emacs and start again; not, perhaps,
the most drastic of problems, but it's been driving me berserk for a
while now.

Note, however, that Swedish television have just started showing the
new, "Battlestar Gallactica," series on Friday evenings, which eases
the pain somewhat.

.ed

Download Fractality, free Java code analyzer:
www.EdmundKirwan.com/servlet/fractal/frac-page130.html