Re: Ediff problem with accents

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Ediff problem with accents
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:36:37 +0200

    ,----[ Source buffer ]

    |----[ Modified buffer ]
    | Ce document présente le détail des modifications apportées...
    | Maintenant.
    `----

The upper buffer's contents is obviously presented in an ISO Latin encoding, presumingly ISO 8859-1 or ISO 8859-15, the lower one shows an UTF-8 contents in obviously the same ISO Latin encoding (é is in UTF-8 C3 A9, or: Ã ©). But it seems more likely that (almost) the same UTF-8 contents is displayed once in UTF-8 (correct) and once in ISO Latin (incorrect).

To make both buffers appear (in) the same (encoding) you should put into your .emacs file:

        (prefer-coding-system    'utf-8-unix)

or set environment variables like LC_CTYPE or LANG with UTF-8 in it, like mine: de_DE.UTF-8. This setting will make GNU Emacs to automatically use UTF-8.

At least if works for my buffers with UTF-8 contents in ediff ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either."
        James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959