Re: displaying escaped unicode files

From: Gulliver7
Subject: Re: displaying escaped unicode files
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:58:00 -0700 (PDT)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Gulliver7 wrote:
>> I'm running emacs 21.3 in Windows, and need to read and edit some text
>> files
>> with UTF-8 encoding and others with escaped unicode encoding.  I've
>> managed
>> to get emacs to display the UTF-8 files correctly, but not the escaped
>> unicode ones.  The alphabet is Latin, but accented characters are not
>> being
>> displayed properly in the escaped unicode files.  What do I need to do to
>> get emacs to display the characters properly, regardless of whether I go
>> into a UTF-8 or an escaped unicode file?
>
> What is an "escaped unicode" file?  Can you attach a small sample file
> to your reply?

According to the folks at Mozilla, Escaped Unicode Encoding uses the unicode
representation \uXXXX.

I've attached a small file with characters encoded in this way.  It includes
three "special" characters:
a "u" with a circumflex, an "a" with a circumflex, and a "c" with a cedilla.

I can't get emacs to read them properly: they appear, respectively, as:
"\u00FB",  "\u00E2",  "\u00E7"

If you can get emacs to read the file properly, please let me know how you
did it.

Thanks

http://www.nabble.com/user-files/235986/escapedunicode.properties
escapedunicode.properties