Re: Installing mew (editing Makefile.in)

From: Ryo
Subject: Re: Installing mew (editing Makefile.in)
Date: 13 Sep 2006 12:34:11 -0700

ken wrote:
[. . .]
> Thanks very much, Ryo.  I hope mew works.  I've just downloaded and
> untarred mew-5.1 and know I need to edit the values of some variables in
> Makefile.in:
>
> prefix=@prefix@
> exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
> libdir=@libdir@
> datadir=@datadir@
> infodir=@infodir@
>
> These are very much standard variables; I've installed emacs from a
> tarball several times before and it's always been a guessing game,
> trying to figure out what the values of these should be.  This guessing
> game is complicated a bit more this time because mew is to work with an
> installation of emacs which was installed, not for the entire
> machine/system, but just for one user.  I.e., emacs v.22.0.50.1 was
> installed under a user's $HOME just for the use of this one user.

Brave you, Ken. :) I've given up installing emacs for myself for a
long time, so I'm afraid I can't help you here.  I still install
small packages from tarballs or sources from time to time, but
big ones like emacs and TeX are too time-consuming to me.  I use
Debian GNU/Linux, where most things are available in the form of
binary packages.  Add-ons to emacs (such as mew) are provided as
separate packages, which are installed for various versions emacs
(xemacs, emacs20, emacs21, etc.) automatically.  I know this
doesn't install things under your home directory.

Anyway, I don't know if it's of any help to you, but I found elisp
files and their byte-compiled versions of mew in
/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/mew/ .  I hope experts on emacs will
help you.

Regards,
Ryo