Re: Debugging calendar gremlin in emacs 22.0.50.1

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Debugging calendar gremlin in emacs 22.0.50.1
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:07:49 -0700

ken wrote:

> And this is exactly the output of the output I get from the
> above-invoked "M-x diary" except that the first line (beginning
> ";-*- mode... is not displayed, and the rest of the lines are
> single-spaced (see below)-- but if I make this buffer (entitled
> "Diary for Tuesday, September 19, 2006") the current buffer, do "C-x
> h M-w" and paste it somewhere, it'll show that first line. Quite
> weird.

I don't think there's anything weird here. The standard ("simple")
diary display uses invisible text to hide parts of the diary buffer.
So visiting the diary file and displaying the diary buffer give
different results. Copying and pasting from the simple diary can also
be confusing. CVS emacs displays a warning header about this by
default.

> Even more weird: If I then do "C-x 5 f ~/diary.emacs", it does
> nothing the first time. I can go make another pot of coffee, come
> back, and there's no new frame. If I then run exactly the same
> command a second time, emacs then opens a new frame entitled "Diary
> for Tuesday, September 19, 2006" (i.e., displayed in the modeline)
> and which has exactly the same contents as the Diary buffer, i.e.:

The default simple diary display visits the diary file in a buffer, so
it's best to kill it if you want to actually load the raw file (as it
were).

> Thinking again back to the sudden appearance of the gremlin, I did
> do a kernel upgrade. Though I really don't see how it could be the
> cause of the problem, that was the only thing that changed (that I
> can think of, that I know of) between the time I wasn't getting the
> error message "Wrong type argument: sequencep, t" and when I started
> getting it. The kernel used now is 2.6.11.4-21.14-default.

I don't think the kernel has anything to do with this error, which is
unrelated to all the stuff you describe above. So where's the
backtrace from this sequencep error?

You probably want to update and rebuild your CVS before investing much
time in debugging this.