Re: diffs between a buffer and the underlying file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: diffs between a buffer and the underlying file
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:14:47 +1000

John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> writes:

> Urs Thuermann <urs@isnogud.escape.de> writes:
>
>> OK, thanks.  Debian doesn't have Emacs 22 yet, BTW.
>
> aptitude install emacs-snapshot
>
> (at least I know it's in unstable, not sure about testing)
>
> --
> -John Sullivan
> -http://www.wjsullivan.net
> -GPG Key: AE8600B6

Its not in testing, but it is in unstable. So, to get emacs-snapshot
(aka emacs 22 CVS) on a Debian testing system, put the following in
your /etc/apt/conf.d directory (call it something appropriate like
05local, so that it is loaded at an appropriate time)

APT::Default-Release "testing";

this will ensure aptitude (or apt) will give preference to packages
from testing rather than unstable and stop heaps of packages from
getting updated from the unstable repository.

Then you need to add an unstable repository to your
/etc/apt/sources.list

then, to install emacs 22 from unstable, but keep everything else from
testing, all you need to do is an

aptitude update
aptitude install emacs-snapshot

and your away. You will then get updated emacs snapshots every week or
so as they are updated from CVS. I've been running it for months now
and it is very stable - you can even try emacs-snapshot-gtk to get the
one built with the gtk widgets (though I don't think it is quite as
stable).

HTH

Tim
--