Re: Troubles with abbrev-mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Troubles with abbrev-mode
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 23:33:22 +0200

> FWIW, `message.el' sets `local-abbrev-table' to
> `text-mode-abbrev-table':
>
> [...]
>
> I don't know if this is good or not, but it has been there since ages:
>
> | 6.202 (zsh 07-Feb-02): (setq local-abbrev-table text-mode-abbrev-table)

Hm, in my opinion that's a really bad behavior, because...

  a) if the user wants that behavior, he can set in `message-mode-hook'.

  b) adding abbrevs in message mode (with `add-mode-abbrev' or
     `inverse-add-mode-abbrev') adds it to
     `message-mode-abbrev-table'. So you effectively cannot add abbrevs
     interactively.

So I see two possible fixes:

  1) Delete the setq. (To me that seems right and proper.)

  2) Fix `add-mode-abbrev' and `inverse-add-mode-abbrev', so that they
     insert into `local-abbrev-table'.

To me the second point should be done, too, because that's what a user
would expect. Only then he has the possibility to use a abbrev-table for
multiple modes, e.g. text-mode-abbrev-table for
message-mode-abbrev-table.

What do you mean?

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.