Re: no color syntax highlighting in emacs over SSH

From: Ajit Mylavarapu
Subject: Re: no color syntax highlighting in emacs over SSH
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:54:45 -0700

The TERM setting on the remote machine (Sun box) is set to xterm. You are right in assuming that I am doing an ssh to a remote Sun box and then running emacs.

Also, how do I find out more about termcap/terminfo entries on the Solaris box? (I dont know much about termcap/terminfo). And once I find that out, what should I do?

Thank you,
Ajit.

Tim X wrote:
DeeplyPipelined <ajitkarthik@gmail.com> writes:

I am editing some .c files over an SSH connection. Syntax highlighting
is working fine when I have the files on my local machine.
If am using emacs on the TTY (as opposed to emacs in an X window), the
problem is
that I cant get syntax highlighting to work for files over an SSH
connection. I know that font-lock-mode is on because I see bold fonts
and underlined fonts in the TTY over an SSH connection, but there is
no color.

The shell on the remote machine is a tcsh.

I should also mention that when I use emacs over X on the SSH, syntax
highlighting works. It stops working in TTY mode over SSH. The remote
machine has emacs 21.2.2 on a SunSPARC Solaris 2.8.

Any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated!

I'm assuming you are doing an ssh to the remote Sun box and then running emacs, rather than accessing remote iles using something like
tramp or ange-ftp.

Check to see what TERM setting the remote emacs believes it is running
under. I suspect the most likely cause is that the remote emacs
doesn't realise it is running under a terminal which can support
colour. If this is the case, you will have to see if there is a
suitable colour capable termcap/terminfo setting which is compatible
with the tty. I have seen this problem when users are running on Linux
and connect to a commercial Unix system like solaris or Tru64, which
doesn't have termcap/terminfo entries for terminals of type Linux or
Console (as used in Linux).
If you can find a suitable termcap/terminfo entry on the solaris box,
you may need to set your TERM variable explicitly when you login to
force it to use that entry.

Alternatively, use tramp from a local instance of emacs - you will get
colour syntax highlighting and probably better responsiveness
(assuming thats why your running under a console rather than X).
HTH

Tim