ediff customization: -w -B... + refinement

From: Peter Tury
Subject: ediff customization: -w -B... + refinement
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:26:49 GMT

Hi,

I see different results in Emacs ediff and out-of-emacs command line
diff.

I try to get rid of white space and new line diffs, so I tried diff -a
-w -B --binary ... It produces the desired output in command line, but
whitespace- and newline-differences are showed (and treated) in
Emacs. Why? I set ediff-diff-options to "-a -w -B --binary", but it
seems to be ignored? Why? How to get rid of such whitespace diffs? I
tried ##, but nothing changed.

How can check what command was exactly sent by Emacs (to
Windows/diff)? (If I check *ediff-diff*'s content, it is "wrong",
i.e. shows result without -w -B...) And what diff is used? (I have an old
diff also in my path, but I put the directory of the new diff before
that old one's directory in the path variable.)

My other question: what to do if I want refinement to show differences
by chars and not by words?

These makes ediff unusable for me now, because emacs shows totally
wrong lines compared. E.g. if an empty line is deleted and following
lines are reindented then I see (in ediff's windows) as if the
(original) empty line would have been replaced with several new lines
(what are in fact only reindented) and then the original lines are
compared with other lines... :-( I think this is diff's feature, but
can be handled in command line with switches -w -B -- but not in
Emacs?

What am I doing wrong?

I try to use ediff (on MS Windows XP, EmacsW32 patched, v2006 May
01). I installed latest GnuWin32's diff (2.8.7), it is in my path.

Thanks in advance,