Monitoring variable changes

From: spamfilteraccount
Subject: Monitoring variable changes
Date: 6 Oct 2006 21:08:29 -0700

I have a user option for my package which is a list of strings. I use
this list very frequently in my code and since speed is an issue I want
to do some preprocessing on it.

The problem is the user can change the option anytime (even via setq)
and I need to ensure the preprocessed value always reflects the actual
contents of the user option.

Is there a better way to do this than saving the previous value of the
user option and comparing it to the current value every time before I
try to use the preprocessed value?

Some hook maybe which can be set to be called when a variable is
changed regardless of how it is set?