failure to connect to postgres DB via pg.el

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: failure to connect to postgres DB via pg.el
Date: 07 Oct 2006 12:14:00 +0200

Hi,

I recently stumbled over the following problem, recently because the setup
worked fine for some years, only that when I changed recently to a new
linux distribution (from Suse 10 to the latest Fedora core), things broke.

The set-up is as follows:

I got a postgres data base running on a linux machine (the data base works
ok, it seems, as I can connect to it using the psql ``user interface'' to
interact with it).

I want to connect, however, via emacs, in particular, I used
to use the package

             pg.el (Version: 0.10, 2002, it seems)

for it. Now, part of the proper use of it is establishing the
connection with the data base, which is done by:

(setq myconnection (pg:connect "data-base-name" "user-name") )

Now: this connection does no longer work, i.e., I'm refused
access, giving back the following verdict appended below the end of
the article.

Does anybody know how to repair that?

I'm not sure where the problem lies (as said, the set-up worked with the same
version of pg.el and basically the same emacs version before). There seem two
possible
sources:

  - either emacs/pg does no longer transmit my name properly (I
      remember I had problems with encodings some time ago)

  - or postgres applies tougher access restrictions on
     the new linux distribution, and therefore rejects me

     What is strange, however, is that I can access the
     running data base as "user-name" using the command-line
     tool psql just fine, without being rejected.

Thanks, Martin

  signal(error ("Backend error: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user
\"user-name\"\n"))
  error("Backend error: %s" "FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user
\"msteffen\"\n")

  byte-code("..... process connection pg:SM_USER pg:SM_OPTIONS pg:SM_UNUSED
generate-new-buffer " *PostgreSQL*" nil open-network-stream "postgres" fboundp
set-buffer-process-coding-system binary set-buffer-multibyte vector
cl-struct-pgcon 1 pg:send-int 4 2 pg:send accept-process-output 0 error
"pgcon-process accessing a non-pgcon" pg:read-char 69 "Backend error: %s"
pg:read-string 4096 82 pg:read-net-int pg:initialize-parsers pg:exec "SET
datestyle = 'ISO'" throw --cl-block-pg:connect-- 5 "Crypt authentication not
supported" "Kerberos4 authentication not supported" "Kerberos5 authentication
not supported" "Can't do that type of authentication: %s" "Problem connecting:
expected an authentication response" pg:SM_TTY user-packet-length host port
pg:StartupPacketSize pg:PG_PROTOCOL_63_MAJOR ...] 7)