Re: Problems in Displaying endash in Emacs-w3m

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Problems in Displaying endash in Emacs-w3m
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 21:26:56 +0200

> Am 07.10.2006 um 15:24 schrieb Dieter Wilhelm:
>
>> I've Emacs 22.050 and w3m installed but I don't know what you mean by
>> an endash.  Where do I've to look?
>
> Look here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bindestrich

Thank you for the pointer.  Maybe this is related to the complaint of
Charles.  W3m displays on this site the hyphen (Bindestrich in German,
which AFAIU is inserted with the hyphen (-) on the keyboard) longer
then the dash (Gedankenstrich in German, used also when omitting text)
but it should be the other way around (As e.g. Firefox does
correctly).

> endash is short –, emdash is longer: —, an average dash is this: -.

For me under Gnus endash looks the shortest, emdash and the average
dash the same.

Would you please tell us how you input these characters?  I only know
of this iso-accents-mode for iso-latin-1 for inserting some non-ascii
characters, but the mode is supposed to be obsolete because of some
input methods I don't have any clue.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm