Re: Hard to switch from vi

From: Jeremy Hankins
Subject: Re: Hard to switch from vi
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 06:57:14 -0400

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> Do you know about Viper, a really good vi emulator inside Emacs? At
> least it is very good in Emacs 22. Emacs 22 is not yet released but very
> stable and will hopefully soon be in pretest.
>
> See http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ViperMode

I second viper.  I used vi for many years before starting to use emacs
(so that I could use gnus), and I don't think I'd be able to give up the
command-mode/insert-mode distinction.  It's just too keyboard-friendly.

I personally consider viper to be more of an implementation of vi in
elisp; it generally works quite well with other emacs modes without
interfering with their use.  There are a few exceptions, though -- I'd
love to get viper to work better with folding.el, for example.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>