Re: Hard to switch from vi

From: Micha Feigin
Subject: Re: Hard to switch from vi
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 04:23:10 +0200

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:22:39 -0400
Wen Weng <WenWeng@charter.net> wrote:

> ken wrote:
> > Wen Weng wrote:
> >> Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
> >>
> >> I at least want to learn some basic emacs skills to see where my
> >> interest will lead me to...
> >>
> >> So far, my understanding is that emacs takes more key strokes on the
> >> average to accomplish same purposes. It bothers me a little at this point.

> > First, I don't know of any comparison of the number of keystrokes.
> Well, that's just my experience so far after one week of using emacs.
> > Secondly, other things are much more important.
> >
> Actually, the number of keystrokes is number one importance to me and
> to a lot of people, I guess.

It's not so much the average number of keystrokes per operation, but the
average number of keystrokes per session, or even more important the average
time it takes you to complete your tasks. If it takes more keystrokes per
operation, but less operations, or less errors, or whatever, then you're still
better off.

Don't know which one is better in that respect though. It's probably a
combination of what you are used to, they way you like to work (which is
probably linked to the previous one), and how much you know. Both of the have a
rather steep learning curve though, which can scare quite a few newbies.