Re: Hard to switch from vi

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Hard to switch from vi
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:36:50 +0200

don provan wrote:
Wen Weng <WenWeng@charter.net> writes:

ken wrote:
First, I don't know of any comparison of the number of keystrokes.
Well, that's just my experience so far after one week of using emacs.

Could you elaborate? I can't think of any serious inefficiencies in
emacs vs. vi, so I'm wondering if something else is going on. Perhaps
you're mentally ascribing two key strokes to control-f because you
have to push two keys and you aren't used to that,

Well, I have to push two keys to type control-f. Don't you? (Whether this is important or not is another thing.)

Secondly, other things are much more important.
Actually, the number of keystrokes is number one importance to me and
to a lot of people, I guess.

Well, I actually agree with others that there are many more important
issues, but the one that drives me crazy about vi actually winds up
causing more keystrokes in vi: the modalism. It seems like every vi
session I end up spending the majority of keystrokes cleaning up text
executed as commands because I thought I was in text-enter mode or
commands entered as text because I thought I was in command-mode.

Beginning to use vi keys are rather tough. But once you are used to them they can be very good. I know since they are good for me ;-)

And they are available in Emacs. Viper in the next release of Emacs is very good.