Re: fatal font problem with emacs

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: fatal font problem with emacs
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:55:15 +0200

Am 23.10.2006 um 03:48 schrieb BillJosephson:

Thanks, Peter. Frankly, your reply is a bit above my head. How would I
know if I have X resources set for GNU Emacs? Or how to set an existing
font?

There is a file ~/.Xdefaults. It is read when X11 launches. The X resources from this file (and others for this purpose) configure the look of X clients.

You know what X11 is? You are working on some BSD or Linux system? Here the command xlsfonts lists all available fonts for the configuration active. 'xset -q' shows the font path and other details of your X11 configuration. ~/.xinitrc is probably the file that sets up this configuration.

--
Greetings

  Pete

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..."
                                      Isaac Asimov