Re: Hard to switch from vi

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Hard to switch from vi
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:53:33 +0200

don provan wrote:
Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

Well, I have to push two keys to type control-f. Don't you?

Emacs users don't notice this any more than we notice using shift to
get capital letters: modifiers are an advantage, not an overhead. But
obviously if you see that as two keystrokes, you're likely to get very
near double the number of keystrokes for Emacs over vi.

Yes, I do. I always use something like sticky modifiers to save my hands. (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/StickyModifiers)

Beginning to use vi keys are rather tough. But once you are used to
them they can be very good. I know since they are good for me ;-)

Yes, I'm obviously not that familiar with the keys, but the point I
was making was about the fact that the vi approach requires my mind to
be in sync with the editor's mode, and whenever the two are out of
sync, there's going to be trouble. I consider this *the* principle
difference between the two editors, and why I would never for a moment
consider switching to vi. I hate CAPSLOCK and the PC Insert key for
the same reason.

I respect your choice, but in the long run it is not that difficult. If you use Viper in Emacs you can mix the two ways of editing too. I found that convenient. Viper also makes you aware of the mode by changing the text cursor.

Of course I know very well where the ESC key is ;-)