Re: current directory

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: current directory
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:33:09 +0100

vb wrote:
On Saturday 21 October 2006 11:38, don provan wrote:

no, it would not be insane at all. All other editors but emacs I am used to maintain a notion of "current directory" and allow the user to change this current directory explicitly. The fact that emacs doesn't even have an infrastructure for that just shows how off mark its approach is.

I find it interesting to note that in MS VC 6,
File/Open defaulted to the last directory you open a file from,
and MS VC .NET now defaults to the directory of the current file.

As I said, look around, check out Crisp for instance, you would be surprised: no long keystrokes, much wider use of keys (say astersk on the numeric keypad and on the main keyboard are naturally assigned to different key codes _ still have to find the way to achieve this with emacs, and I've tried!). You can write macros in object oriented c-like language, not in this weird lisp which is a remnant of computing stone age (I know, I know that it is still used to teach students).

(global-set-key 'kp-multiply 'switch-to-buffer)

C-h k *  indicates the internal name for keystrokes

BTW,
in answer to your original question,
you could make the call-progress run
"cd  /a/b/c && ./myScript.sh"

It is possible for emacs to record its starting directory,
and add the cd for you.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller
--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.