Re: Hard to switch from vi

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Hard to switch from vi
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:01:26 +0200

floyd@apaflo.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:

> That is exactly the case.  I too think the primary difference is
> that for me a modeless editor is easy to use, and a modeful editor
> drives me up a tree.  For others it is exactly the opposite.
> (Granted that one method used by people like me to deal with Vi is
> to append, automatically, key strokes to the end of every command to
> bring it back to one particular mode.)

To be fair, Emacs is full of modes, all the time you are working in
different ones. Most are very similar when it comes to basic text
editing, but think about Dired or the M-x prompt, or isearch or...

Sometimes I get stuck in the M-x or Find File prompt without noticing
(because I types those keys by mistake) and I guess that is similar to
the problems people get in vi. Personally, when I open vi, I get
scared, but some day I will try to tame the beast just so that I do
not need to be scared anymore...