Re: pasting many times

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: pasting many times
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:36:19 +0200

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:15:20PM +0200, Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> > I see :) , let me rephrase: My problem isn't much the number of
> > keystrokes, but an ability to repeat a simple command a certain number
> > of times, just like C-x RET c <charset> RET <command>. Defining a macro
> > for such a thing just seems to be an overkill.
>
> C-x z (repeat) and then just zzzzzz (assuming Emacs 22.0.50).

Rephrasing again: the number of keystrokes is still important at the
second priority :) .

> No it isn't, M-5 9 C-y means that the command returns the 59th
> previous entry of the kill-ring list.
>
> (length kill-ring)60
> M-100 C-y seems to circle through the kill-ring.

Uh. Does anyone actually use this? I personally don't remember the
previous entry, let alone the 59th previous. Once I killed a block and
forgot to yank it; then, I was able to recover it from the clipboard
buffer.

> Why on earth do you need to paste the same paragraph 59 fold?

Glossary markup in a DocBook document.

> maybe there is a better solution for the complete problem, maybe we
> could change something with C-M-% automagically?
>
> Maybe it makes more sense to copy and edit the paragraphs more
> incrementally?

Couldn't think of anything like that, open to suggestions.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.