Macro to fold References header in news or mail onto multiple lines?

From: Adam Funk
Subject: Macro to fold References header in news or mail onto multiple lines?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:36:41 +0100

I'm looking for an emacs macro to fold the References header in a news
or mail message that I'm editing onto mulitple lines.  I want a
command that will reformat the following line, for example,

into this sequence of lines

which still constitutes one header (I've used tabs at the beginning of
the subsequent lines in my example, but spaces are OK too).

(If the macro finds the References: line near the top of the current
buffer on its own, that would be nice too.)

I'm sure someone must have already done this (and I hope so, because
my elisp skills are *very* limited), but I haven't been able to find
anything relevant by googling (probably because "fold" in the Emacs
context is often used to mean hide part of a buffer from view).  I'd
appreciate a pointer to such a macro or just some more precise
terminology for googling for it.

Thanks,
Adam