Re: emacs in xterm

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: emacs in xterm
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:45:33 +0100

zeycus wrote:
Hi everybody. I am new to Debian (and Linux, in general), and I am having a
problem with something. I am used to emacs in normal terminals. Now I
started using X-windows, and when I type the command 'emacs' in a xterm it
is xemacs which is launched, with a fancy window, different font, etc. But,
what if I prefer the old behaviour, expecting that emacs would make use of
the whole particular xterm from which it is launched? I wish just that, with
the same font I am using in that xterm, etc. The way it behaves if I launch
emacs before starting theX-windows.

Forgive me if this question is well-known and explained, I did not manage to
solve it. Thanks in advance!

If you really want to run emacs in a terminal, use
emacs -nw

(no window)

BTW,
You can configure the which font emacs uses via the .Xresources file,
or the customise menu (this might be beta emacs only; I use Xemacs which
has had font customisation in the main release for a while now).

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.