Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: cannot install emacs on a laptop
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:30:42 +0000

Leo wrote:
On Sun, 29/10/06, Christian Pirschalawa wrote:

Hi,
I tried to install emacs on my laptop, but the configure script doesn't run
proberly. It does not find gcc or cc and shows the error "No acceptable cc
found in $PATH". I tried it under SUSE and ubuntu, it's the same.
I'm a Linux beginner, therefore I have no clue what this error message means.

You need a c compiler.

In SuSE, fire up yast and install `gcc'
In ubuntu, apt-get install gcc

You also will need some other packages including xlib-dev

If configure complains that it cant' find some package,
you need to install the -dev version of it from apt or yum.

Debian's package of Emacs 21 has these run-time dependancies.

libc6, libice6, libjpeg62, libncurses5, libpng12-0, libsm6, libtiff4,
libungif4g,
libx11-6, libxext6, libxmu6, libxpm4, libxt6, xaw3dg, zlib1g

I'm not sure what the related development packages are.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.