Re: No 3d modeline

From: Chris Menzel
Subject: Re: No 3d modeline
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:07:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 02:05:37 +0100, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> said:
> Am 30.10.2006 um 21:51 schrieb Chris Menzel:
>
>> I compiled with the gtk toolkit, in case that is relevant.
>
> This *is* relevant: GTK makes the mode-line 2D flat. The scroll-bars,
> too, look like 2D....

Actually, this appears not to be entirely the case.  The version of
emacs that Ubuntu installed has GTK menus, scrollbars, and modeline --
and while the scrollbars and modeline do have a somewhat flatter look
than the corresponding libXaw3d widgets, they still look much more 3d
than the *completely* flat, 2d look that I'm seeing in my self-compiled
version.  Moreover, the buttons in the customization buffers in the
Ubuntu-installed version are all 3d.  This makes me wonder whether the
source of the problem with my self-compiled version lies with my use of
the xft option to get (very handsome) anti-aliased fonts -- which I
really can no longer live without, having been spoiled by Emacs under
Mac OS X.

Chris Menzel