Re: emacs in xterm

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: emacs in xterm
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:50:35 +1100

zeycus <miguelgarciadiaz@ono.com> writes:

> Wow, thank you for the opinions and suggestions! I am not sure yet,
> whether or not I want to "jump" to the xemacs multi-window system,
> but I'll give it a try!

Note that Emacs and Xemacs are two totally *different* programs. GNU
Emacs can be built with and without X windows support. Most Linux
distributions include an Emacs and an Emacs-nox (or something
similar). The emacs with window support can also be run without the
X windows features using the -nw switch.

Xemacs can only be run on an X windows system (i.e. you cannot run it
in a term or on the console etc). It represents a fork from the
original emacs sources which occured some years ago. While the two
emacs flavors are very similar, there are a number of internal
differences between the two, such as how they handle font locking. Its
not unusual to find elisp packages which have tests to determine if it
is running under GNU Emacs or Xemacs and then does flavor specific
stuff - this allows an elisp package to work under both systems.

HTH

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au