Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs

From: Hendrik Bilges
Subject: Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs
Date: 2 Nov 2006 13:43:15 GMT

> I found out that for some unknown reason emacs was invoked with the -q
> option that prevents loading of the configuration file. I simply
> reinstalled emacs and now everything is fine.

I have to correct myself. After installation there is no ~/.emacs yet. If
I change an option in emacs and choose to save it, it is written. Fine so
far. If I restart emacs and try to save options a second time, it shows me
a message stating that it was invoked with -q option and that saving would
override existing configuration.

If I replace the generated .emacs with the file mentioned before,
containing only "(display-time)", it won't get loaded - the time is not
shown in the status bar.

Any ideas on this?