Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: Emacs doesn't load .emacs
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 09:17:02 -0500

"Hendrik Bilges" <VZQNVPETFXMY@spammotel.com> writes:

>> I found out that for some unknown reason emacs was invoked with the -q
>> option that prevents loading of the configuration file. I simply
>> reinstalled emacs and now everything is fine.
>
> I have to correct myself. After installation there is no ~/.emacs yet. If
> I change an option in emacs and choose to save it, it is written. Fine so
> far. If I restart emacs and try to save options a second time, it shows me
> a message stating that it was invoked with -q option and that saving would
> override existing configuration.
>
> If I replace the generated .emacs with the file mentioned before,
> containing only "(display-time)", it won't get loaded - the time is not
> shown in the status bar.
>
> Any ideas on this?

The purpose of the -q option is to ignore the configuration file.  Why
are you using that option?

Or is the problem that you aren't intending to use that option, and
don't know how it is getting set?  In that case, you need to look at
how you are invoking emacs, and see where the option is creeping in.