Re: .Xdefaults preferences in emacs 21.4.1

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: .Xdefaults preferences in emacs 21.4.1
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:32:46 +0100

Am 03.11.2006 um 20:07 schrieb Rob McMillin:

1) I've been over the new Info pages and it doesn't seem to
mention .Xdefaults as a source of configuration data anymore that I can
see.  Am I missing something here?

Yes. ~/.Xdefaults was never a file any version of GNU Emacs used.

This file is used by xrdb. This X client puts X resources into a kind of X environment (X resources DB). Since xrdb (and xmodmap and xset) are the first X clients launched by the X server when it interprets ~/.xinitrc, what they set every other X client inherits. As long as the resources are meant for this client ...

--
Greetings

  Pete