Re: Tabs for indentation, spaces for alignment?

From: Anders Kaseorg
Subject: Re: Tabs for indentation, spaces for alignment?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 23:27:40 -0500

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 11:10 +0100, Markus Triska wrote:
> UNIX convention for TAB format effector is to move to columns that are
> multiples of 8. People breaking that are on their own.

I know what UNIX tabs do.  I also know that many Windows editors, and
some cross-platform editors like Eclipse, default to 4-space tabs.  But
let's not have a tab width flame war.  Even if we all agree on 8-space
tabs, I'd want my alignment characters to be semantically correct.

So I ask again: is there a way to get this?
        block {
        ------->block {
        ------->------->some_function(arg,
Or even this, if the indent and tab widths are different?
        block {
        ....block {
        ------->block {
        ------->....some_function(arg,