RE: minibuffer output to buffer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: minibuffer output to buffer
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:01:38 -0800

> > how can I get the output which shows in the mini buffer into the
> > current buffer.
> > example
> > M-x emacs-version shows in minibuffer.
>
> With a numeric prefix of M-x.  For example:
>
> I'm used to press the ALT key while typing - then x (M-- M-x)
> or C-u M-x
> or C-1 M-x
> or M-1 M-x

Ah, good point. Just thought I'd mention that this is a peculiarity of that
particular command, `emacs-version'. A few other commands are defined with
similar behavior.

The general rule is that you cannot access what is displayed in the echo
area directly. You can select the message text in *Messages*, or, in some
cases, such as `emacs-version', a command might have an option that inserts
the message into a buffer.