Re: Tab-key not working in auctex?

From: Malte Spiess
Subject: Re: Tab-key not working in auctex?
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:02:48 +0100

Johs <asdasd@asd.com> writes:

> Malte Spiess wrote:
>
>> "Johs" <gjh@sdfsf.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have installed auctex for emacs in Ubuntu. But when I press the
>>> Tab-key nothing happens.
>>> I know that multiple whitespaces are treated as one in latex but in
>>> my .tex file it is sometimes nice to use Tab-key indentation to make
>>> the text easier to read (when writing pseudocode).
>>  Do you mean that never anything happens when you press TAB or just in
>> certain situations nothing happens?
>>
>>> How do I make my Tab-key respond i auctex?
>>  What does it say when you hit "C-h k TAB"? (Display documentation of
>> the function invoked by TAB.)
>
> It says:
>
> TAB runs the command indent-for-tab-command
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `indent'.
> (indent-for-tab-command &optional PREFIX-ARG)
> [...]
>
> but nothing happens when I press the Tab-key. Maybe Tab-key is not meant
> to work in auctex.

Don't worry, it works fine here! Found this for you in the AucTeX info
page:
,----
|    Indentation is done by LaTeX environments and by TeX groups, that is
| the body of an environment is indented by the value of
| `LaTeX-indent-level' (default 2).  Also, items of an `itemize-like'
| environment are indented by the value of `LaTeX-item-indent', default
| -2.  If more environments are nested, they are indented `accumulated'
| just like most programming languages usually are seen indented in
| nested constructs.
`----

Basically it says you should customize the variables
`LaTeX-indent-level' and `LaTeX-item-indent'.
(e.g. via M-x customize-variable)

>> Really wonder why it does not work out of the box. Have you tried it
>> in any \begin... \end... environment?
>
> Yes and nothing happens there either.

Okay, no problem, just customize the variables - should be fine! Else
just write again.

Good luck

Malte