Re: globalff.el: globalff can be used as a universal file selector

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: globalff.el: globalff can be used as a universal file selector
Date: 10 Nov 2006 11:12:35 -0800

spamfilteraccount@gmail.com írta:
> Added experimental universal file selector feature. Globalff can be
> used to select a path in any application, not just Emacs.
>
> It's a bit rough on the edges, but working.
>
> source code, change log: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GlobalFF

There were requests for more explanation what this feature is about, so
here it is:

Using globalff it is easy to select any file on the system by typing
some characters in its name provided there is an up to to date locate
database.

Globalff is so convenient for me that I wanted to use it in other
applications too, for example when opening a file in my browser or any
other application.

Suppose you're in your browser and pressed Ctrl+O to open a file, but
don't want to traverse the directories with the clumsy open dialog.
Instead you press a global hotkey which invokes emacs (which runs all
the time of course) via gnuclient. Eamcs pops up a globalff frame on
the screen, you type some characters, select the required file, press
ENTER. The popup frame disappears and the selected path is sent to the
active application with xte.

So convenient and quick file selection can be used in any application,
not just emacs.

Here you can find some instructions how to set it up if you search for
the word "experimental":

   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/globalff.el

There are still some problems.

- Xte not always sends the path to the active application and I have no
idea why (maybe focus problems because of the appearing and
disappearing popup frame?).

- The original emacs frame (which runs in the background) can't be
iconified, because it is raised automatically when the popup frame
disappears.